1st/15th Royal NSW
Sydney Light Horse,
1st Light Horse Regiment
3rd Light Horse (Australian Horse)
11th Light Horse
21st Light Horse
7/21st Australian Horse
4th Battalion RNSWR
The 1903 pattern uniform for a Trooper in the 1st Australian Light Horse
Regiment (NSW Lancers) in review order, full dress.
The NSW Lancers added the following
embellishments to the standard 1903 pattern uniform: a stable belt,
scarlet plastron, white shoulder pads and white aiguillettes (Donor:
Department of Defence Library, Canberra). >>>>
This Regiment dates from the inauguration of the Sydney
Light Horse and other cavalry troops in New South Wales in 1885.
pre federation days, the raising of such units sprang from a
public-spirited wish to give voluntary service, and was not sponsored or
directed by the government of the day.
In 1899, "A" squadron of the Regiment, which had been training in
England, became the first colonial troops to arrive in South Africa for
active service against the Boers in the South African War.
This squadron, reinforced by further drafts from New South Wales,
formed part of
General French's Cavalry Division.
In the 1914-1918 war, the Regiment being militia, did not serve
abroad, however, most of its pre-war members joined the AIF.
the Lancers were designated as successors to the 1st Light Horse Regiment
of the AIF. It had fought at Gallipoli and later in Sinai and Palestine as
part of the Desert Mounted Corps.
In 1956, the number "15th" was
linked with the "1st" making the Regiment also the successor to
the 15th Light Horse Regiment, AIF which had been formed in Palestine in
1918 from personnel of the Camel Corps.
were granted the title "Royal" in 1935. It
was horsed until 1936, when it was motorised as a mechanised machine gun
In 1942, it was incorporated into the AIF as an armoured
Equipped with Matilda Infantry Support Tanks, it pioneered the
use of tanks in the New Guinea jungle.
above right: a Major in the New South
Wales Lancers c.1900 as drawn by Mike Chappell in the
Osprey Publishing book The Australian Army at War 1899-1975.
Later in the seaborne assault by
the 7th Division on Balikpapan in Borneo, the Regiment made the heaviest
Australian tank attack of the war.
It was the only armoured regiment of
militia origin to go overseas, and the only Australian Armoured Regiment
to be sent overseas twice.
After the war, the regiment was equipped first with Matilda then
until 1971, when it was converted to a Reconnaissance
Regiment, and equipped with the M113 family of tracked light armoured
The Regiment with 21 battle honours, is the most highly decorated
unit in the Australian Army. It celebrated its centenary in 1985, and
looks forward to serving the nation in the 21st Century.
Barracks, Melbourne, Vic. 1905.
portrait of members of the Royal New South Wales Lancers. They were
members of a team visiting Melbourne for a tournament. Left to
right: Trooper B. Bailey, Sergeant E. W. Thompson, Trooper F. Ryan,
Sergeant A. W. Whitney.
(donor W. Thompson)
HISTORY OF LANCER BARRACKS
The Lancers train at Lancer Barracks where the museum building,
Linden House also stands. The buildings form the oldest continuously used
military barracks on the mainland of Australia. They were erected on the
orders of Governor Macquarie to replace earlier barracks in Parramatta
Commenced in 1818, they were completed in 1820, the architect
was Lieutenant John Watts of the 46th Regiment. They were to stand in an
area of 3.25ha, and were designed for a company (approximately 100
officers and men).
They served as a barracks for British regiments stationed here in
convict days. Some of the men would have served under Wellington in the
British Regiments with detachments stationed at Parramatta
The original buildings included the two-storey building overlooking
the parade ground and the single storey "Bobs Hall" nearby.
There was also a twin of Bobs Hall, equal and opposite to it. There were
also stables, kitchens, and privies on the perimeter. The three main
buildings form three sides of a square. The walls are of sandstock brick.
The two storey building was of Georgian design; the balcony and verandah
were added in the C1830s.
During the 1830s, the number of troops quartered in Parramatta grew
to over 360, several additional buildings in the town had to be used for
military quarters. One of these was Linden House, then known as the School
of Industry. When the garrison was withdrawn in 1850, the Police and
Military Volunteers occupied the barracks. The Lancers came to Parramatta
in 1891 when K Troop was added to the Regiment and was based in what was
soon to be known as Lancer Barracks. After the South African War, the
remaining single storey building was re-named "Bobs Hall" after
Lord Roberts VC, the Commander in Chief.
By this time land had been taken for railway and
education purposes, and with the arrival of the Lancers, accommodation was
provided for the permanent cadre. An Edwardian House for the Adjutant, and
a cottage for the Staff-Sergeant. In 1910, a drill hall was added. The
stables were converted to a Sergeants Mess, and an Officers Mess added in
In the 1980s, the Officers Mess was demolished, and the Sergeants
Cottage renovated as a mess; the Officer's house was converted into
The three principal buildings in the barracks grounds are now
protected against demolition under the New South Wales Heritage Act 1977.
Royal New South Wales Lancers
Smith Street (Opposite Railway Station)
PARRAMATTA NSW 2150 AUSTRALIA
RETURNS TO GOULBURN
Opening of the Suvla Training Depot,
22 June 2002
5th Brigade, Brigadier G. N. Oakley declared the depot open for armoured
|The NSW district centred
on the City of Goulburn has a long association with Australian mounted
troops dating back to the formation of a local militia unit, the
Australian Horse. This unit was formed at Murrumburrah in August, 1897
and wore a distinctive myrtle green uniform similar to British Light
Infantry Regiments. The Regiment’s motto was " For Hearths and
Homes" and their distinctly Australian hat badge included the
Southern Cross, a kangaroo and an emu.
The unit recruited from areas
surrounding Goulburn including Harden, Murrumburrah, Yass, Bungendore,
Michelago, Braidwood, Cootamundra and Gundagai. It also recruited in
parts of northern NSW including Gunnedah, Boggabri, Scone, Mudgee,
Rylstone and Quirindi.
Two detachments of Australian
Horse were sent to South Africa in 1899 and 1900. Attached to the
Royal Scot Greys, the Squadron served as part of General French’s
From 1900, B Squadron and the
Regimental Band were based in Goulburn. With Federation, the unit was
redesignated the 3rd Light Horse (Australian Horse). In 1911 they were
redesignated the 11th Light Horse.
Following the end of World War 1, the
unit was re designated the 7th Light Horse and inherited the battle
honours of the wartime regiment, these include: South Africa
1899–1900, Anzac, Defence of Anzac, Suvla, Sari Bair, Gallipoli 1915,
Romani, Egypt 1915–17, Gaza-Beersheba, El Mughar, Nebi Samwil,
Jerusalem, Jordan (Es Salt), Jordan (Amman), Megiddo, Nablus and
1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers
carry the same battle honours. In 1936, the 7th Light Horse were linked
with the 21st Light Horse, a unit which had previously been linked with
the 1st Light Horse (RNSWL). RHQ and Headquarters Squadron remained in
In 1948, the Regiment was reformed as
the 7th/21st Australian Horse, a CMF armoured unit for the
reconnaissance role, equipped with Staghound Armoured Cars and Canadian
Scout Cars. RHQ was in Cootamundra, no sub-units were based in Goulburn.
In 1953 the unit was re-roled as an
anti-tank Regiment and equipped with 6 pdr anti-tank guns. The Regiment
was disbanded on 14 September 1956 with the units personnel being
absorbed into the 4th Battalion (later 4/3 RNSWR). The Guidon of the 7th
Light Horse was laid up in St Saviour’s Church, Goulburn.