In this Sign conquer.
The first chaplain
associated with New Zealand Forces was Bishop Selwyn during the Maori
Wars. With the permission of the Imperial Government he appointed three
additional Chaplains to work with him.
During the Boer War, the
first 1st New Zealand chaplain to serve overseas and see active service
was Rev. A W Compton who went with the 8th Contingent followed by two
with the 9th and two with the 10th Contingent. Their badges were cloth
Maltese crosses, smaller versions being worn as collar badges.
These badges were later
struck in brass until 1931 when a Crown was added. The Territorial Army
saw the formation of a Chaplains' Department which was given approval to
wear the badge of the British Army Chaplains Department as of October
1937. The Department was designated the Royal New Zealand Chaplains'
Department on 12 July 1947.
Dress distinctions. The
wearing of black edging on the shoulder strap was abolished in 1924. The
Department wore black metal buttons and black rank badges. A strip of
purple material, half- inch wide is worn on the shoulder strap
immediately above the shoulder seam and below the badges of rank.
officers wear anodised silver crosses as collar badges on the green
drill summer dress and on the Combat dress.