1st Field Regiment as
we know it today, was raised on 25th May 1949 at North Head, Sydney. At
that time it was the only regular Artillery Regiment. In 1953, B
Anti-Aircraft Battery was redesignated 3 Anti-Aircraft Battery and then
in 1955 it was redesignated as 103rd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery.
In April 1957 the Battery
was redesignated the independent 111th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery and
left 1st Field Regiment's Order of Battle. C Observation Troop was
renamed 4th Locating Battery and subsequently 104th Locating Battery in
early 1957, before being re-roled as 101st Field Battery and equipped
with 25 pounders on 4th April 1957.
In 1957, when the
Regiment comprised of A Field Battery, 101st Field Battery and 102nd
Light (4.2 inch Mortar) Battery it moved to Kokoda Barracks, Holsworthy.
During the late 1950's, 105th Field Battery was raised and replaced A
Field Battery as one of the Regiment's 25 pounder Batteries. 105th Field
Battery then relocated in 1960 to become the founding Battery of
the newly raised 4th Field Regiment.
On the eve of the Vietnam
War the Regiment consisted of 101st Field Battery and 105th Field
Battery (Independent), both equipped with the L5, 102nd Light (4.2 inch
Mortar) Battery and a Headquarters Battery.
In April 1965 the
decision was taken to deploy the 1st Battalion, Royal Australian
Regiment (1RAR) to Vietnam. This resulted in an expansion of artillery
regiments by the addition of a third field battery. 1st Field Regiment's
order of battle for deployment to Vietnam was 101st Field Battery, 105th
Field Battery, 161st Field Battery Royal New Zealand Artillery and
When 1 RAR deployed to
Vietnam in May 1965 with fire support initially provided by 161st Field
Battery RNZA, in September 1965 105th Field Battery arrived to provide
additional fire support. With the expansion of the Australian force to
two Battalion Groups in June 1966, the remainder of the Regiment, less
101st Field Battery, deployed to Vietnam accompanied by 103rd Field
In August 1966, the
Regiment took part in the Battle
of Long Tan in support of D
Company, 6 RAR with the Regiment
firing 3198 rounds in three hours of battle.
In September 1966, 105th Field Battery was replaced by 101st Field
Battery and returned to Australia. In May 1967, the Regiment completed
its first tour of duty in Vietnam and was replaced by 4th Field
Regiment. The Regiment, rejoined by 105th Field Battery, relocated to
Sanananda Barracks, Wacol. The 103rd Field Battery was re-roled as a
medium battery and moved to 12th Medium Regiment.
In February 1969, 105th
Field Battery returned to Vietnam for a second tour of duty to be
followed by the remainder of the Regiment a month later. On completion
of their final tour of duty, the Regiment returned to Sanananda
Barracks, Wacol in March 1970.
extract from http://www.defence.gov.au/army