Unofficial history of the Australian & New Zealand Armed Services 

 Search  &  Help Recruits Military History Hall of Heroes Indigenous Slouch hat + ARMY Today Uniforms Badges

 Colours & Flags Weapons Food Equipment Assorted Medals Armour Navy Air Power 

Nurses - Medical Tributes Poetry - Music Posters & Signs Leaders The Enemy Humour Links Killing Anzac

Click to escape. Subject to Crown Copyright
Category: Badges

Click to go up one level


History of the Badges of the Australian Army (1903 to 1966)

This section draws heavily on research by Alfred N Festberg as presented in his book Australian Army Insignia 1903-1966. He concentrated only on units in the 1966 Order of Battle.

 Australian Intelligence Corps

Dress regulations for the original Corps allowed for 'regimental badges'.  The badge shown is known to have been worn prior to WW1.  

It is not known whether this badge was officially approved, though as it featured a Crown & garter, it probably had approval but not public funding.  

The blue colour is derived from the authorised facings for the Corps uniforms.  Note the motto, which is still used by the Corps today.



From 1949 with Tudor Crown, post 1955 with St Edward's Crown as shown

 The Royal Australian Army Chaplain's Department

 Maltese Cross badges introduced in WW1 and worn in black oxidized metal until 1955  Approved October 1949 but never manufactured

  • Early versions of the Christian Chaplain's badge with St Edward's Crown were solid as shown left. Later variations were void as shown below.


  • The early version was approved in 1955. The later version was introduced in 1967.

Introduced in 1967. Note variation of foliage in wreath.
Hebrew Chaplain's badge introduced in WW1 and worn in black oxidized  metal until 1950 when gilding metal used used Hebrew Chaplain's badge with St Edward's Crown approved in 1953.

 The Royal Australian Army Service Corps

 Originally the badge of the NSW Army Service Corps this was also worn by AASC.  1906-1911. Officers version gilt with silver wreath.

1911-1921. In gilt. Officers version had silver wreath 1930-1939 in gilt then black oxidized until 1942. 1 version had blue enameled circle with motto.
Approved in 1950 but never manufactured Approved in 1955. Originally in gilding metal for ORs and silver, gilt and red and blue enameled centre for Officers.

Statistics : Over 35 million page visitors since  11 Nov 2002  



 Search   Help     Guestbook   Get Updates   Last Post    The Ode      FAQ     Digger Forum

Click for news

Digger History:  an unofficial history of the Australian & New Zealand Armed Forces