||WW2 Canadian cap badge for
the Lanark & Renfrew Scottish Regiment. This unit served in
Italy during the Second World War
The Overseas Battalion designated as
such on 12 Jul 1944 had been previously designated 1st
Regiment and was organized on 1 Feb 1941. It was composed of the 35th,
Anti-Aircraft Batteries. The regiment arrived in Augusta, Sicily on 8
Nov 1943 and proceeded to Messina where it remained until Jan 1944. It
arrived at Reggin, Italy on 8 Jan 1944 and was re-organized as infantry
and was re-designated “The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment”.
The regiment served at San Guistina, the Rubicone, and Savio Rivers. The
regiment participated in operations at Ortona, crossed the Naviglio
Canal and secured the next one, — the Munio. There they had a stiff
encounter with the enemy’s powerful machine guns and artillery,
resulting in many casualties.
As a component of the 12th
Inf Bde, it participated in operations at San Guistina, the Ribicone and
Savio Rivers. The regiment landed in France on 5 Mar 1945 and moved to
Lozer, Belgium. It was re-designated 1st
Regiment and moved to Ostend, Belgium. In May of 1945 it moved into
Holland. On VE Day the regiment was located in the area of Ede. Members
of the regiment were returned to Canada later that summer. Total Battle
Casualties during World War II were 530 of which 139 were fatal.