Unofficial history of the Australian & New Zealand Armed Services 

 Search  &  Help Recruits Military History Hall of Heroes Indigenous Slouch hat + ARMY Today Uniforms Badges

 Colours & Flags Weapons Food Equipment Assorted Medals Armour Navy Air Power 

Nurses - Medical Tributes Poetry - Music Posters & Signs Leaders The Enemy Humour Links Killing Anzac

Click to escape. Subject to crown copyright
Category: Army Today/State Regts

Click to go up one level

WAUR and The Royal Green Jackets

Click to enlarge

By S "Chook" Chapman October 2002

Royal Green Jackets

The Western Australian University Regimental has had a alliance with the Royal Green Jackets for nearly 50 Years.  The original affiliation was made in 1955 with the The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (43rd & 52nd).  Much like the Australian forces the British reorganised and amalgamated their Military, the result for WAUR being an affiliation with The Royal Green Jackets Brigade.  

Below is the recordings of 1960’s unit historian Capt. John LeTessier on the affiliation:

“One of the highlights in the Regimental History was the approval granted by Her Majesty, The Queen, of the affiliation of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Regiment with the Western Australian University Regiment. Later, in December 1955, some of the Officers of the Regiment had the pleasure of meeting the Second in command of the “Ox and Bucks", Lieutenant Colonel R.A. St G. Martin, MBE, when he paid a visit to the Officers' Mess whilst in Western Australia in his capacity as Military Secretary to His Excellency the Governor General, Field Marshal Sir William Slim, GOB, GCMG, GWO, CBE, DSO, MC.”

The affiliation was taken quite seriously by the officers of WAUR, Capt. LeTessier continues:

“WAUR received further notice by the general public when, in mid February 1956, as a contribution to the 1955 Festival of Perth, it presented a short play to mark its affiliation with the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. This play depicted members Western Australian University Regiment learning from the ghosts of men of the 43rd and 52nd about the battles of Canada, the Peninsula and the wreck of the Birkenhead. This was played in period uniform as an interlude between musical offerings by the Western Command Band in the new Supreme Court Gardens Orchestral Shell. A large audience, seated on the lawns, witnessed the presentation of a copy of the Regimental March of the “Ox and Bucks”, to the Commanding Officer, Lt. Col. W.R.Bray by Major R.A. Newman, assistant director of The Australian School of Music. The Regimental March “Nachtlager in Grenada”, was thence adopted as the march of the young unit. Unlike British Light infantry, which marches at 140 paces to the minute, the University Regiment marches at a tempo of 120 paces to the minute. This new march replaced “Sons of the Brave” which had been in use for two years.”

Interestedly enough the WAUR Association has recovered a copy of the play  in question. 

The March “Nacht Lager en Grenada” was first played before the Regiment when it paraded at Northam Camp during February 1956, the occasion was the presentation of the Returned Servicemen’s League Trophy (see photo right).

 This trophy was awarded at the time for the most proficient Army Unit in Australia this was the second year in a row that WAUR had won the award. The next recorded use of Nachtlager en Grenada was during the May 25th 1958 Colours presentation Ceremony, an event recorded in detail by LeTessier and a silent movie, the Western Command Band preformed the slow and quick march past playing Nacht Lager en Grenada. Some time after the use of Nachtlager en Grenada was canned by Western Command and Sons of the Brave was reinstated as the regimental March.

The next entry by Capt. Le Tessier tells of a mess presentation, the books whereabouts are unknown by the Association.

“A further link with the 43rd and 52nd was fashioned in October 1956 when Major General Sir John Winterton, KCB, KCMG, CBE, Colonel of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry presented to the officers Historical Records of the two older Infantry Regiments, the volumes respectively 88 and 96 years old, at the time.”

As well as exchange of Christmas Cards (See left) and other pleasantries between the two “sister” regiments a regular contribution was sent for the Chronicle an annual report in book form published by the Green Jackets since 1966 the association has copies of WAUR’s contributions which give a fascinating insight into years past.

Contact with the Green Jackets waned in the Eighties and Nineties with only sporadic communication  being made, this evidenced by the lack of submissions to the chronicle and indeed little knowledge of the   affiliation by serving members of WAUR.   

The formation of the WAUR Association in February 2001 remedied this situation with the aid of the internet  and a visit to Winchester by Association Secretary Mike Jenkin (see photo on right) contact has been firmly reestablished,  both with the RGJ and the RGJ Association.  

Lines of communication between the Perth based Australasian branch of the RGJA have also been opened  with both associations marching in the Perth city Anzac Day parades. 


(43rd & 52nd)

– a brief History  (courtesy of the RGJ)

Though the 43rd and 52nd Regiments were independent of each other for some 140 years from their formation, their subsequent union into a single regiment and the way in which their fortunes were so often linked in the early years make it possible for their stories to be told as one.


The eighteenth century saw Great Britain and France intermittently at war, both on the continent of Europe and throughout their colonial territories, and the British Army was continually expanded and reduced to suit the needs of the moment. One such expansion, in 1741, included the raising of the 54th Regiment of infantry with its headquarters at Winchester. Disbandments at the end of the war in 1748 spared the regiment, by then in garrison at Minorca, but reductions amongst older regiments caused its renumbering as the 43rd. In 1755 another 54th Regiment was raised and based at Coventry, to be renumbered the 52nd a year later.

The Seven Years' War (1756-63)

Shortly after the start of the Seven Years' War with France, in 1757, the 43rd moved to North America. It was part of Wolfe's force which captured Quebec in 1759 and then defended the city against a French siege through the following winter, operations which led to the annexation of Canada by the British. Once North America was secured, the action moved to the West Indies, where the Regiment took part in the storming and capture of Martinique, Grenada, St. Vincent and St. Lucia from the French, and Havannah, Cuba, from the Spanish.

The American War of Independence (1774-82)

The 43rd returned to England after the peace of 1763 but crossed the Atlantic again eleven years later and was engaged throughout the American War of Independence. The 52nd, which had waited twenty years for its first taste of active service, joined them at Boston and the two regiments fought side‑by‑side at Lexington and Bunker Hill, both battles won at the cost of heavy casualties. There followed a series of successful actions around New York in which the Americans were regularly defeated and the 52nd returned home in 1778. But the intervention of France in support of the rebellion started the turn of the tide; the 43rd was sent to Virginia to reinforce Lord Cornwall’s and was therefore present at the siege and final surrender at Yorktown in 1781 which brought the war to an end.

Southern India (1783-96)

The 52nd landed at Madras in 1783 and for nine years was involved in intermittent campaigning against Tippoo Sahib of Mysore. A succession of battles against a well‑organised enemy culminated in the capture of Tippoo's capital at Seringapatam. European rivalries and alliances were the cause of two other shorter expeditions in the same theatre which seized Pondicherry from the French and the coastal towns of Ceylon from the Dutch.

The West Indies - Second Round (1794-1800)

In 1794 the 43rd, now with the extra title the Monmouthshire Regiment, was again engaged against French possessions in the West Indies, its first tasks, in which it played a distinguished part, being to capture, for the second time, Martinique and St. Lucia, which had been returned to France by the peace treaty of 1763. The 43rd also assisted at the capture of Guadeloupe, but were then left there as a garrison with too little strength to hold off the French counter‑attack and, much reduced by disease, were overpowered after a resistance lasting some three months.

The Light Brigade

For some fifty years before 1800 it had been the practice for infantry battalions to include a light company of picked men for tasks needing rapid reactions when, in 1803, the 43rd and 52nd were chosen to form the first Corps of Light Infantry and joined with the 95th Rifles (later The Rifle Brigade) to constitute the Light Brigade at Shorncliffe in Kent under the command of Sir John Moore. Moore has been described as 'the very best trainer of troops that England has ever possessed'. His insistence on absolute professionalism and mutual respect between officers and men (new concepts at the time) was to create a formation whose contribution was crucial to Wellington's victories in the Peninsula and whose traditions survive in The Royal Green Jackets of today.

Copenhagen (1807) 

In 1807, Denmark having allied itself with France, the 43rd, 52nd and 95th, led by Sir Arthur Wellesley, the future Duke of Wellington, were part of a force which bombarded and captured Copenhagen and‑with it the entire Danish fleet. Disaster almost struck on the voyage home, when a ship carrying the 43rd ran aground in a storm. Sure that their last hour had come, an officer produced a flute and played the 'Death March in Saul', but ship and regiment in the end survived.

When Napoleon's armies invaded Spain and threatened Lisbon in 1808 the 43rd and 52nd were in Wellesley's force sent to oppose them and played a central role in the sharp engagement at Vimiera (where all four future Green jacket regiments took part) which forced the French to evacuate Portugal. When Sir John Moore succeeded to the command and advanced into Spain, two battalions of each regiment were in his army and, with the 95th, played a distinguished part in forming the rearguard when the army was forced to retreat in mid‑winter to Vigo and Corunna. Moore was killed in the final battle but his army was able to embark in good order and return to England. The following year the reconstituted Light Brigade returned to the Peninsula under Robert Craufurd, landing at Lisbon. Hearing that their support was urgently needed in Spain, they set out at once on a forced march of 250 miles, the last fifty‑two in twenty‑six hours, to join Wellington's army at Talavera, but arrived on the battlefield only to find that the battle was already won. Meanwhile the 2nd Battalions of each regiment were despatched on a disastrous expedition to Walcheren in the Low Countries where they were decimated by fever without achieving anything of value. With the addition of two battalions of Portuguese light infantry the Brigade grew into the Light Division and for the next four years was continuously the cutting edge of Wellington's force until the French were driven out of Spain. By that time it had fought another dozen great battles and sieges and as many lesser actions. At the capture of Ciudad Rodrigo Lieutenant Gurwood of the 52nd commanded the 'forlorn hope' and received the French Governor's sword in surrender.

North America (1814-15)

Napoleon's abdication in 1814 led to a temporary peace and the disbandment of the Light Division. An expeditionary force, including the 43rd, was despatched against the United States, which was allied to France and threatening British possessions in Canada. A series of sharp engagements 'culminated in the capture and burning of Washington, but the British force was later repulsed before New Orleans and the 43rd returned to Europe just too late to fight at Waterloo.

Waterloo (1815)

When Napoleon escaped from exile on the island of Elba to lead his army to the decisive battle of the war at Waterloo the 52nd found itself brigaded with the 95th and 71st and started the day in reserve. They were moved forward to resist successive attacks by French cavalry and their position was crucial when Napoleon launched his Imperial Guard in a final stroke against the centre of the British line. The French were halted by the fire of Maitland's Brigade of Guards and, as they faltered, Sir John Colborne led the 52nd in a charge against their flank which turned their advance into disorderly retreat and swept the rest of the French army away with it.

The Kaffir Wars and the Birkenhead (1851-53)

The defeat of Napoleon was followed by thirty years of peace, but the remainder of the century was punctuated by campaigns to secure the Empire. In the 1850s the 43rd fought in the Kaffir War in South Africa; their discipline and self‑sacrifice in the ship‑wreck of the Birkenhead off Natal, when the troops paraded on deck as the women and children took to the boats, stirred the imagination of Victorian England and caused Frederick of Prussia to have the story read out at the head of every regiment of his army as an example of devotion to duty.

The Indian Mutiny (1857-59)

During the Mutiny campaign the 43rd marched some 1300 miles in seven months, fighting innumerable small actions on the way, developing the concept of mounted infantry by the use of camels and winning its first VC. The 52nd set out from Bengal to, join the British force besieging Delhi, where they led the assault on the Kashmir Gate. Bugler Hawthorne won one of the regiment's two VCs for coolly sounding the advance under intense fire from the walls as the explosive charges to blow in the gate were detonated and then rescuing a wounded Engineer officer of the firing party.

Campaigns  from 1863-1902

In 1863 the 43rd was called on to fight a tragic and bloody but ultimately successful War against the Maoris in New Zealand, in which their opponents were not only courageous but showed exceptional humanity to the wounded. In the next thirty years the 43rd and 52nd were involved in sporadic operations in India, Burma and the Sudan. The 43rd fought throughout the Boer War in South Africa (1899‑1902), notably at the relief of Kimberley and the decisive battle of Paardeburg, which resulted in the surrender of the Boer General Cronje. Their mounted infantry company was active throughout the war.


The Cardwell reorganisation of the Army in 1881 recognised the historical links between the 43rd and 52nd and decreed that they should become the Ist and 2nd Battalions of The Oxfordshire Light Infantry, though the old regimental numbers continued in unofficial use. The combined regiment was based at a new Depot at Cowley, Oxford. In 1908 'Buckinghamshire' was added to the title.

World War 1 (I914-19)

The Ist Battalion (43rd) fought the Turks in Mesopotamia, where they suffered very heavy casualties, were besieged at Kut and eventually starved into surrender. Of 300 men who were taken prisoner only ninety survived the war. In 1919 the reconstituted battalion took part in the inconclusive campaign against the Bolsheviks in North Russia.

The 52nd and most of the affiliated Territorial Force battalions fought on the Western Front. In 1914 they achieved fame at Nonne Boschen by routing the Prussian Potsdam Guards, almost 100 years after they had defeated the French Imperial Guard at Waterloo. From then on, however their experiences of appalling casualties for little apparent gain mirrored those of the rest of the Army. Other battalions fought in Italy and Salonika.

World War II (1939-45)

The 43rd and Ist Bucks Battalion (TA) were in the British Expeditionary Force in France in 1940 and escaped through Dunkirk after suffering heavy casualties. Another TA battalion (4th Oxf Bucks) was encircled by the Germans and overrun. The regiment was represented by the 7th Battalion in Tunisia and Italy (at the Anzio and Salerno landings), the 43rd in North‑West Europe (in the advance from Normandy to Hamburg) and by the 6th in Burma (from Arakan down the west coast to Tamandu).

The 52nd was chosen to pioneer the new role of airlanding by glider. At midnight before the D‑Day landings in Normandy coup de main parties from the battalion seized and held the bridges over the Caen Canal (Pegasus Bridge) and River Orne (Horsa Bridge). In March 1945 the battalion carried out a costly assault landing as part of the operation to cross the Rhine before fighting its way across Germany to meet up with the Russians on the Baltic.

The Post-War Years (1945-1958)

After the war the 43rd were engaged in peace‑keeping in Trieste and Yugoslavia while the 52nd faced the Jewish uprising against the British mandate in Palestine. In 1948 the two Battalions amalgamated to form the 1st Battalion The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 43rd and 52nd, which was in Greece during the Civil War, in Egypt and in Cyprus confronting the Enosis insurgents demanding union with Greece. There in 1958 it once more changed its title to the Ist Green Jackets (43rd and 52nd) and in 1962 was the first battalion to take part in the Borneo Campaign.


In 1958, in the most fundamental peacetime reorganisation of the Army since 1881, which involved the forced and sometimes unhappy amalgamation of many regiments, The Green jackets Brigade was formed to comprise Ist Green jackets (43rd and 52nd), 2nd Green Jackets (The King's Royal Rifle Corps) and 3rd Green jackets (The Rifle Brigade). Thus for the first time these three regiments, sharing so much common history and tradition, became formally linked and based themselves on the Green jacket Depot at Winchester.

In the next eight years each of the three battalions was engaged in the confrontation with Indonesia in Borneo, the Ist being part of the force rushed to Brunei from Malaya on the outbreak of armed rebellion in 1962. By the time peace returned in 1966 the whole Brigade had perfected the techniques of jungle warfare. Meanwhile, Green jackets had also been performing peace‑keeping operations in British Guiana and Cyprus as well as taking their turn in the British Army of the Rhine and in Berlin.

The Royal Green Jackets

On the first of January 1966 The Royal Green Jackets was formed as a single large Regiment. Its creation followed logically from the composition of The Green Jackets Brigade in 1958, which grouped together three former single‑battalion infantry regiments: The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (43rd & 52nd), The King's Royal Rifle Corps and The Rifle Brigade. 

It was no accident that these particular regiments, each having had such a distinguished record in the past, should have progressively, voluntarily and successfully come together, avoiding the stresses which often accompany amalgamations, because they shared a large measure of their history and their traditions. They, and The Royal Green Jackets as their heir, lay claim to being the innovators who developed much of the new thinking in the British infantry in the fields of tactics, training, equipment and man‑management from the mid‑eighteenth century onwards.

The leadership of such distinguished officers Henri Bouquet, Francis de Rottenburg, Coote Manningharn and Sir John Moore generated a succession of advanced ideas later to be adopted  ideals by the rest of the Army: open‑order tactics and mobility in place of rigid drills and ponderous movement, camouflage and concealment in place of serried ranks of red coats, individual marksmanship in place of massed musket fire, and intelligence and self‑reliance in place of blind obedience instilled by the fear of brutal punishment. The following page will trace these themes as they record the stories o four regiments whose fortunes were often close linked to the point where they fuse together in The Royal Green Jackets of today.

Territorial (Army Reserve)  Battalions

The history of the Territorial Battalions which now form an integral part of The Royal Green Jackets is almost as long as that of their Regular colleagues and far more complex. Only a very simplified account can be outlined in this book.

For most of the nineteenth century they were completely independent of the Regular Army and confined to the role of home defence. Armed bodies such as The Duke of Cumberland's ‑Sharpshooters and the Rangers (Gentlemen Members of Gray's Inn) were formed in London in response to the threat of invasion by Napoleon but disbanded in 1815, though some kept a continuous existence as rifle clubs.

In 1859 Rifle Volunteer Corps were again raised to face a threat from France and modern Territorial Battalions can trace direct descent from these units. Amongst them were The Victoria Rifles, The Queen's Westminster Rifles and The City of London Rifle Volunteer Brigade, whose names were to survive practically unchanged for the next 100 years.

The Cardwell reorganisation of the Army in 1881, which ‑ brought the 43rd and 52nd together as battalions of a single regiment, also established the first formal links between Volunteers and Regular regiments. In London no fewer than twelve Volunteer units were affiliated to The King's Royal Rifle Corps and nine to The Rifle Brigade, while The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry gained a Volunteer Battalion in each of its home counties. Twenty years later these affiliations took on a new aspect when the Volunteers in their hundreds went to fill the ranks of the Regular regiments in the Boer War.

The title was changed to the Territorial Force in 1908 and on the outbreak of World War I battalions became even more closely integrated with their Regular counterparts and for the first time fought overseas as complete units. Though they were to return to the home‑defence role between the wars, the same principle was followed in World War II. Thus it was that at Calais in 1940 a Green jacket brigade was composed of a Regular battalion each of The King's Royal Rifle Corps and The Rifle Brigade and a Territorial Battalion of Queen Victoria's Rifles (7th Battalion KRRC).

Green Jacket Territorial Battalions fought with distinction in France in 1940, throughout the Desert actions in North , h Africa, in Greece and Crete, in Italy and North‑West Europe, and in Burma. Without their trained reinforcements of officers, NCO’s and specialists the Regular Battalions could not have survived.

Through the 1950s and 60s the Territorial Army endured a succession of reductions until in 1967 The Queen's Royal Rifles (descendant of Queen Victoria's Rifles and Queen's Westminsters), The London Rifle Brigade/Rangers and the 4th Battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry were merged into the 4th Battalion The Royal Green Jackets. In 1987 the process was reversed and a 5th Battalion was created. These battalions can thus claim descent from both their forebears of the independent Volunteers and from The Royal Green jacket family.


Statistics : Over 35 million page visitors since  11 Nov 2002  



 Search   Help     Guestbook   Get Updates   Last Post    The Ode      FAQ     Digger Forum

Click for news

Digger History:  an unofficial history of the Australian & New Zealand Armed Forces