|The Avro Lincoln was a long-range,
high altitude version of the successful Avro Lancaster four-engined
bomber. The first RAF Lincoln BI flew on June 9, 1944, and operational
squadrons were preparing to join Tiger force in the war against Japan,
when V-J Day was declared. Although the Lincoln did not take part in
World War II, one Lincoln (RF345) was shot down by Russian MIG-15 jet
fighters while on a training flight near East Germany in 1957. RAF
Lincolns also operated against the terrorists in Malaya and the Mau-Mau
in Kenya. Lincolns were phased out of service in the late 1950s, and
were the last piston-engined bombers of the RAF.
In 1943 plans were under way in Australia for
the Beaufort Division of DAP to build the Lancaster Mk III. On May 11
1943, Lancaster "Q" for "Queenie" (A66-1, ex ED930)
arrived in Australia as a pattern aircraft but, in the event, the
Lancaster Mk IV (or GAF Lincoln B Mk 30 as it became known) was built
because of the long-range requirements in the Pacific area. Orders were
placed for 85 Lincolns, but only 73 were built. The first five Lincolns,
A73-1/5, were constructed from British supplied components and A73-1
made its first flight on March 17 1946. The first Australian built
Lincoln, A73-6 was delivered in November 1946. The Lincolns were phased
into No 82 Bomber Wing at RAAF Amberley to replace the Liberators of Nos
12, 21 and 23 Sqns. In February 1948, these units were renumbered Nos 1,
2 and 6 Sqns. respectively, and a fourth Lincoln squadron came into
being when No 10 Sqn re-formed on March 17 1949 at RAAF Townsville as a
general reconnaissance element. The Lincoln B30 originally had four
Merlin 85 engines, but was later equipped with a combination of two
Merlin 66s in the outboard positions and two inboard Merlin 85s.
Eventually, four Merlin 102s were installed and this version became the
GAF Lincoln B Mk 30A.
In 1949, 14 Lincolns, A73-31/34, 36/37, 38
(prototype) 39/40 and 42/46 were modified as long range navigation (LRN)
aircraft for special duties. The modifications included the fitment of
radio/radar equipment instrumentation, and an extra crew station aft of
the mid-upper turret. Another major modification occurred when A73-48
became the prototype for the so-called "long-nose Lincoln". A
6ft 6in extension to the forward fuselage was inserted between the
cockpit and the front turret to house radar equipment and operators for
No 10 Sqn's maritime reconnaissance commitments. This version became the
GAF Lincoln MR31, and although 19 other "long-nose Lincolns"
were produced (A73-28, 55/57, 59/73) only 10 were equipped fully for the
MR role: A73-28, 55, 57, 60/62, 65/68. The last Lincoln A73-73 was
delivered from GAF on September 23 1953.
Other revamped Lincolns included the two VIP
transports, A73-14 and 18, with fuselage windows and seats, and A73-15
the Air Navigational School's long range trainer with faired-in gun
turrets. Lincolns used on special tasks included A73-2, Wg Cdr D.R.
Cuming's 'NYHUAN" (Pathfinder) which surveyed the Woomera range
site and carried out flights far into the Antarctic: A73-34 which Wg Cdr
G.H. Shields flew with Cosmic ray recording equipment for scientific
purposes during the International Geophysical Year; and A73-29, the
experimental rain-making Lincoln flown by Sqn Ldr N. Nichol, who also
flew an Australian Lincoln to the UK for service with the RAF in
exchange for a Lincoln B2 which operated with No 82 Wing.
At least nine different RAF Lincolns operated
with the RAAF in various armament and engine trials, including the
Python/Merlin engined Lincoln, RF403, which carried out high altitude
bombing trials at Woomera and was scrapped at RAAF Tocumwal in 1958.
Most Lincoln B30/30As operated at one time or
another with No 1 Sqn in Malaya. This squadron arrived in Singapore on
July 17 1950, and remained eight years, during which time over 3,000
sorties were carried out against the Communist terrorists. By the late
1950s the Canberra jet bomber had replaced the Lincoln B30/30As,
although No 10 Sqn continued to operate Lincoln MR31s until the last
flight was made by A73-65 in June 1961.
In fifteen years, from 1946 to 1961, 11
Lincolns were written off in accidents (A73-11, 16, 31, 35, 39, 40, 44,
46, 51, 63 and 69) but the remainder gave good service and were
eventually sold as scrap or used for fire-fighting practice. As the
largest aircraft to be built in Australia, the Lincoln goes down in
history as a credit to the local aircraft industry, and it also marked
the passing in RAAF annals of the era of the multi-engined, heavy
bomber, with its large complement of aircrew members.
(GAF Avro Lincoln B.30)
DESCRIPTION: Long-range bomber with 7
crew. All metal, stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: Four 1750 hp Rolls Royce
DIMENSIONS: Span, 120 ft; length, 78
ft 31/2 in; height 17 ft. 31/2 in.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 43,400 lb; loaded,
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 305 mph at
19,000 ft. Cruising speed, 215 mph. Climb, 800 ft/min. Range, 1470 miles
with max. bomb load and 2930 miles with max. fuel. Service ceiling
ARMAMENT: Twin 0.50 guns in each of
nose and tail turrets. Twin 20 mm guns in dorsal turret. Max. bomb load
text from RAAF